Saturday, February 23, 2013

See You in Hell, Facebook!

I never check my Facebook profile anymore.  I have an Android tablet that will tell me if someone has sent me a private message and I will go in to read any such transmission.  Other than that, it's been a couple weeks.

It's a good thing.  Facebook is such a toxic place.  Humans cannot function with that kind of exposure to what the people around them think and feel.  It's much easier getting through things if you aren't constantly faced with evidence that those around you are completely insane.  I'm sure all the insane people around me appreciate that I am no longer constantly threatening their delusions, too.

I'm not urging you to leave Facebook.  Maybe it does you some good.  Maybe you only accept friend requests from those who share your beliefs.  Maybe you are just plain better at tolerating people who have no rational basis for their ideas.

If you are like me, though, it will drive you mad to know that someone can appear to be rational on the surface but then end up believing in magic.  It will infuriate you that someone can see the deleterious effects of certain policies first hand in personal interactions but then believe those policies will somehow function when applied on a larger scale.

If you are like me, you are better off living in denial; better off focusing on the superficial rationality rather than the rotted thinking inside.  If you're like me, it's not Facebook that is the corrosive force in your life, it's the people you know.  Facebook is just the medium through which the destructive thoughts those people carry can reach you.

If, like me, you are better off keeping relationships skin-deep, then it's probably a good idea to try getting away from Facebook.  Having done so has certainly improved my happiness.