Wednesday, January 02, 2013

2012 in Review: Test-Driven Database Development

One of the big things for me in 2012 was the completion of my book, Test-Driven Database Development: Unlocking Agility.  While, technically, the book is not done as of the end of 2012, my part of it is complete.  The only task I will need to complete is approval of the final pages.  It's done enough that, if I drop dead right after completing this post, the book would still be released.

Even with friends who had already been there before warning me, even with a smaller publication under my belt, I was unprepared for the amount of work this would entail.  I spent much of 2011 and 2012 writing the book and, after that, there were numerous review and revision phases in which I had to participate.

A lot of authors, at this point, say "I wouldn't recommend it."  I am not one of those people.  Was it hard?  Sure.  Does that mean I wouldn't have done it, if I knew how much work was involved?  No.  It was an invaluable experience and, I imagine, the next one will be easier just by knowing how much work it entails.

Furthermore, the topic is, I believe, an important one.  If I really can help developers start making database design less of an impediment and more of a participant in Lean or Agile processes, then the time was well spent.

Not to mention that having a real book under my belt so early in my career can only have a positive influence on my professional life.  Anyway, this was a big deal for me and I want to thank everyone involved in making it happen, from the folks at Net Objectives and Addison-Wesley who green lit the project to all my friends and colleagues who have contributed directly or indirectly to the development of the book and the ideas it contains.