Thursday, August 30, 2012

Slowing Down the Pace

I've obtained some feedback on Sleight of Mind #1: Crashing the Party and have acted on that feedback.

One of the things people asked for was a slower pace.  That always pisses me off when I'm reading or watching a show.  I want people to get to the point and then move on to the next one.  On the other hand, I'm not reading these stories; I'm writing them.

Another thing that people asked for was a clearer sense of transition between scenes and the passage of time  between scenes.  That I can understand.  I'm trying to write these stories in kind of a Hollywood style - short scenes with frequent breaks.  However, Hollywood has something on me: you can see when the setting has changed dramatically, whether it's a change in scenery or the time of day, it's immediately visible to you when there's a new scene.

I've entered a new edition of the first episode into the Kindle store.  The story text is exactly the same.  The only difference to the text in edition 1 is that I've corrected some formatting issues that appear on the original Kindle and I've deleted the trio of asterisks that indicate a scene cut.

In the place of the scene cut markers, I have added some of Daniel's field notes.  Of course, it would be cumbersome to saddle the story with an entire field journal, so these are just a few choice entries indexed at times in between scenes.  It should be pretty obvious how they work.

To give you a feel for how the field notes work, here is a sample:
02.07.2012 1644
Chopper landing now.
 - Col. Baker- doesn’t want me to know 1st name
 - Frank Hansen-big guy
Couldn’t get everyone’s name... too loud & group not forthcoming.  Would have been nice to know.
Jerry fucked up - looks like we have to run.
They aren't meant to be the story.  They are just meant to slow the story down and facilitate the transition between two scenes.

As always, I'm interested in what anyone has to say about these and don't forget to fill out this five-question survey when you're done reading.

Thank you.