Saturday, June 26, 2010

Frustrated by SlideShare

SlideShare has some cool features and I really like the idea.  However, I do find its user experience maddening.  Not that I am the king of user experience or anything... the Hexagon Software website is evidence enough of that.

Still.  I'm one guy with a day job.  SlideShare appears to be a company that does this as a reason to exist.  Mostly the problems I have come from two things:

  1. Delays
  2. Unclear directives
Delays
I get that it takes time to do something like process a document into a SlideCast.  What I don't get is why there is no indication to me that I should be waiting.  Frequently, SlideShare will tell me something is "done" but it does not appear to actually be done, yet.  There is no way for me to determine whether something went wrong or everything is fine except to wait.

Unclear Directives
Generally speaking, buttons don't do what I think they should do.  This is especially true of file uploads.  Am I uploading a video?  A slide deck?  A document?  Why, when I try to upload a video, does the Open dialog not show videos but, when I try to upload a slide deck, I have to sift through a bunch of videos?

What Can We Learn?
In reality, these are all just examples of poor feedback.  A simple note saying "Your new document is in the final stages of processing.  Please be patient."  Would save a lot of pain and suffering.  A few extra developer hours on their upload technology would save decades in user time over the course of the next year.