Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Remember when Facts Ended Arguments?

I sure don't.

Thanks to fark, I recently stumbled upon this article.  Go ahead and read it for yourself, if you like.  If you'd prefer to spend a few minutes of your life doing something more productive - like setting an orphanage on fire or smoking crack - I'll save you the trouble with by summarizing:

"I miss the days when people who didn't agree to me would simply cow tow to an appeal to authority."

Yep.  Those were the days.  I sure miss the days when people refused to think for themselves or ask "why."  Remember all the good things that came out of mindless obedience to those who claim knowledge with sufficient emphasis?  It's hard to count them all but I'll take a shot:

  • Witch-hunts
  • The Inquisition
  • The Crusades
  • The "War" on Terror
  • The "War" on Drugs
  • The Holocaust
I knew I would never make it through to the end of the list... after all, I'll probably only live another thirty to sixty years... but it was worth a try.  That guy's article is like a handmade Christmas card: heartfelt an the product of careful attention but ultimately worthless.

If you don't agree, indulge me by considering the following questions:
  • Do you understand the difference between "hypothesis," "truth," and "theory?"
  • What do you think the difference between our collective model of the universe and the universe itself is?
  • Do you remember when facts settled arguments?
    • When, specifically, was that?
  • What are “facts?”
    • What makes a “fact” good enough to “settle” an argument?
    • Who chooses these which assertions are “facts” and which are “opinions?”
  • Was phlogiston theory a fact when it was ?
    • Is it now?
    • Was it one before it was believed?
    • If it wasn't a fact, was it bad?
  • Do you have the power to tell me which facts are true and which will be contraindicated in the future?
    • If so, can you tell when?
    • (I would pay you handsomely for the use of that talent, by the way)
  • How, in your mind, do facts and beliefs differ?
  • What is the difference between proof and evidence?